One fabulous part of my work is I get to work at incredible venues that host weddings and other celebrations. I often get asked where I have been and what is my favourite wedding venue; these questions sometimes come from couples who are feeling totally stressed with choosing a venue. There are so many to choose from!
I secretly have my favourites, but I’ll keep them to myself for the time being. What I will say is, some of my best weddings have been a venues that aren’t “traditional” wedding venues – restaurants, bars, cafes, private holiday rentals. Think outside the square when booking a venue but make sure it ticks most or all of your must haves.
Working out the best wedding venue that meets your needs can be an overwhelming and challenging task. I think you should ask yourself some of these questions to work out if a particular place is meeting your needs:
- Do we want an indoor or outdoor ceremony and/or reception?
- Do we want a city, beach, or country feel?
- Are we fixed on a date, or are we flexible with our wedding date?
- Do we want our ceremony and reception to be in the same place?
- Is there a plan B in case of bad weather or extreme heat?
- How many guests do we expect, and can this venue cater for that amount of bodies?
- Where are we going to get our photo’s taken? Onsite, or close by?
- What are my guests going to do while they are waiting for the reception to start? Does the venue accommodate this?
- Is there accommodation nearby for our interstate/overseas guests?
- If children are coming, is there a room for our babysitter to host the children?
- What type of food do we want at our reception? Sit down, share platters, canapés, buffet?
- Is there easy options for guests to get home? Uber, taxi, buses, trains, parking?
- Does the venue reflect us as a couple?
- What type of atmosphere are we trying to create? Relaxed, upmarket, black tie, rustic, traditional, vintage?
- Is the venue too big for the amount of guests we are having? (This can impact on atmosphere)
- Have we considered restaurants, cafes, or halls that we can dress up with styling?
- Should we consider looking at a venue that isn’t a “traditional” wedding venue?
- Does the venue come with a function manager?
- Do you have to use the venues vendors, or can you select your own vendors to provide services? Stylists, Celebrants, Photographers, Dj’s?
- If booking a chapel, can we say the things we want to in our wedding ceremony? Equal marriage wording?
- Are their noise restrictions that start at a certain time?
- Does the venue provide a PA system for our MC or for speakers at the reception?
- Do I want to coordinate most things myself, or have someone else to do that? Styling, Event Coordinator?
- Is there a place I can get ready there before the wedding ceremony starts?
Below is a list of some of the venues (so far all in Queensland) I have performed weddings, and links to their websites –
- Moda Events
- Walkabout Creek
- Mr and Mrs G
- Sirromet Winery
- Hillstone St Lucia Golf Course
- Victoria Park Golf Club
- Restaurant Two
- Old Petrie Town
- Belvedere Hotel
- Sandstone Point Hotel
- Regatta Toowong
- Stamford Plaza Brisbane
- The Landing Dockside
- Nudge Golf Club
- Sunshine Beach Surf Life Saving Club
- Gordon Country Weddings
- Darling St Chapel
- Maleny Retreat Weddings
- Eves on the River
- Fortitude Boxing Gym
- Spicers Hidden Vale
- Toowong Rowing Club
- RACV Royal Pines Resort
- Henzell Chapel – no website, just Google
- Glengariff Historic Estate
- Lightspace Brisbane
- Yandina Station
- Tattersalls Club
- Novotel Twin Waters Resort
- Brisbane Powerhouse
- Rancho Del Cielo
- O’Reilly’s Rainforest
- Roma Street Parklands
- Kangaroo Point Cliffs
- Coorparoo Bowls Club
- Alex Perry Hotel and Apartments
- Loft West End
- Mouth Coot-tha Botanical Gardens
- Alchemy Restaurant
- Brookfield Showground
- Queensland Parliament
- Flaxton Gardens
- Artie and Mai
- Billykart Kitchen
I’ll keep updating this list throughout my adventures, as I have plenty more new venues to explore this year!
Happy planning and I hope this helps with your choice!
Mary Wheatley Photography lovely photo!